Parish of St Anne & St Bernard, Liverpool
Who We Are
The Parish of St Anne and St Bernard
St Anne's Church is an active Roman Catholic parish church in the Archdiocese of Liverpool. In 1999 its parish was combined with that of the Church of St Bernard. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.
St. Anne’s story
There will be people reading this potted history of St. Anne’s church and parish who
will be able to recall many things unknown to us current parishioners. We would love
to hear from you because the rich history of our parish deserves a much fuller
During the years before and after the last War it was said that St. Anne’s parish had the
largest Catholic population of any parish in the country. If so, things have changed
dramatically. There has been demolition on a grand scale, many of the large tenement
blocks replaced by houses and bungalows, with gardens front and back. Now we have a
very large, beautiful church, re-designed twenty years ago to respond to our change of
circumstances, with a congregation much smaller than it used to be, but diverse, multinational,
and very happy.
The church was built in 1842 by the monks of Downside Abbey. According to their
historian its building almost bankrupted the Abbey. On a date unknown, the care of the
parish passed to the monks of Ampleforth Abbey. It stayed with the monks until they
handed over the parish to the care of the Archdiocese in 1950.
Five priests served the parish at that time. Now we have half a priest, St. Anne’s now
being part of the combined parish of St. Anne and St. Bernard.
The church itself is built with beautiful local sandstone. In 1982 it was industrially
cleaned at Government expense, the grime and smoke of 120 years giving way to the
beautiful original red stone.
We believe our church to be as beautiful as any in the Archdiocese, When our website
develops further we will be able to take you on a tour of the special features of our
A brief history here.There will be more to come.
Office Administrator Hours
Tue - Fri - 09:30 - 12:30
Tel: 0151 709 4434
Priests directly available on
Tel: 0151 709 4434
Mobile: 07932 045 070
Copyright: All Rights Reserved: Webmaster David Richardson